Sunday, April 6, 2008

Watercolors are FUN!




I was trying to keep 2 toddlers busy coloring, so I sat down to "color" on this canvas I had purchased to do some sort of painting/fabric thing on. I decided to take out my SU! Watercolor Crayons to do a part of the image to give it that watery look, and then paint the rest. Little did I know how fun those things actually are on a new medium. Because the canvas was already primed for paint the results were perfect! I just drew my image on in pencil thinking I would be painting over the lines. However, I loved the effect I got with the crayons. The color looked more like paint than traditional watercolors on the canvas, so I kept coloring away. Voila! I did the entire picture with them, and my little girl loves it. It's for her room, thus the colorful flowers. I patterned my flowers off of a stamp set in the catalog called Stemming From on p.86. I plan to cover the edges with some SU! ribbon from the '07 Winter Mini. Obviously, for long term preservation it would need to be sprayed with some sort of artist seal coat to prevent fading, or water damage. I am really pleased with how it turned out. So, whip out those crayons-and go color on your walls(or canvases).

4 comments:

Kari said...

Your picture turned out sooo cute!!! I would have never thought to use the water crayons on canvas! I love the colors too! It will look great in your little girl's room!!

Gia Harvey said...

Very pretty!

Karen said...

It's lovely! Great colours.

StampingBetty said...

L O V E ! ! it!!
nice work, you are SO creative!
and we're keeping that stamp set too!
great way to honour it and do your own thing at the same time!